KICK THE HABIT OF WASHING YOUR HAIR EVERY DAY IN 8 EASY STEPS
You’ve probably heard this from your stylist before (Megan, Alex, we’re looking at you): You absolutely should not be shampooing your hair every day. No matter its grade or ingredients, shampoo dries out your hair and washes out color. Daily suds don’t do your scalp any favors, either. Let’s not even get started on the effects of that blow-dryer.
The best gift you can give your hair is a rest. (And just think of all the extra time you’ll have to yourself. Like, five whole minutes!)
1. Condition correctly. After shampooing, apply conditioner to your hair’s ends only. The stylist’s rule: Conditioner goes ponytail, down. Never apply conditioner to your scalp. Go minimal on the add-on products. Anti-frizz agents, gels, mousses, etc. will only make your hair look dirtier faster.
2. When you’ve decided to skip a day of shampooing, make sure it’s a day you don’t expect to have a big meeting or event. You’ll feel more confident doing something new if you don’t have to do it in front of a bunch of people who make you nervous anyway.
3. If you have medium to long hair that usually gets blown out, use an old-school scrunchie to gather your hair into a ponytail at the very top of your head before you go to bed. This helps you avoid bed head. (Wear hair this way during a workout, and it’ll look great after, too.)
4. Got bed head, morning hair going this way and that? Don’t give in, and shampoo. Grab a brush and a blow-dryer to smooth those locks out in a jiffy.
5. Feeling oily? Apply a bit of dry shampoo where you think your hair looks dirty (usually around the temples and the crown), or all over, if you’d prefer. No dry shampoo? Toss on a pinch of baby powder instead.
6. Don’t feel like you have to pull your hair back into a tell-tale unwashed ponytail. Think of the extra day without shampooing as giving your hair a chance to breathe. Let it loose.
7. Aim high—or low. Once you get the hang of healthy, unwashed hair, take a second day off from shampooing. Ultimately, says Alex, you should be washing your hair twice a week. Three times, max.
8. Be brave. Remember the cardinal rule of confidence. If you feel good about yourself, you’ll look good, too.
P.S. Next time you’re in AMS, ask your stylist about the best shampoos and conditioners for your hair.